Former Sofapaka goalkeeper Evariste Mutuyimana is dead. According to his current club, Rayon Sport, the Rwandese who had two stints with Sofapaka was found dead in his house yesterday morning. However, unconfirmed reports indicate that he must have suffered a heart attack. His family and club say they are waiting for the pathologistâs report, before making any statement.
Evariste, who passed on at the age of 29 joined âBatoto ba Mungu in 2008 helping them to rise to the SportPesa Premier League and won the title with them in their maiden season. He left the club for his country Rwanda where he played for Police Football Club based in Kibungo. He returned to Kenya for his second stint with Sofapaka from in 2014/2015 season, when first choice keeper Duncan Ochieng suffered a broken hand. He left in June last year during the mass exodus of payers when the club suffered financial crises. He joined Rwandan side, Rayon Ports in June last year and until his demise, he was their second choice keeper.
Sofapaka family and the Kenyan football fraternity led by, Sofapaka president Elly Kalekwa have sent their message of condolence to friends and family. Kalekwa said death had robbed the football fraternity a key player. âHe was one of the of the most dedicated players who served the club with dignity during hard and good times and will be missed big. May his souls rest in peace,â Kalekwa said. Kenyan Footballl fans also sent their messages of condolences through social media thanking him for the memories.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.