Clan politics is set to play a major role in determining who makes it to the cabinet of the Garissa county government.
Sources have told the Star that Governor Ali Korane is reviewing his list before formally announcing his nominees.
Power brokers in the county are pushing to have their people picked, with eyes firmly on influencing major county decisions and winning lucrative contracts.
Koraneâs Abduwak clan won the countyâs top seats, including that of the senator and the woman representative.
However, the governor must also appoint members of the other two clans - the Aulian and Samawadhal. There are also minority tribes that reside in Garissa.
The Aulian overwhelmingly voted for former governor Nathif Jama, who lost to Korane. But the clan is still hoping to get at least two cabinet slots in Koraneâs government, given Jama also appointed two Adbduwak clan members in the last administration.
Korane will unveil his cabinet nominees a few days before Tuesday next week, when the county assembly is set for official opening.
County assembly clerk Mohamud Santur said Korane will outline his vision and development agenda for the county. âWe also expect the finance and the appropriations bill to top the agenda of the assembly to ensure that service delivery is not compromised,â said Santur.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.