A section of Jubilee leaders last evening told off NASA leaders over their remarks that the electoral agency should not be allowed to conduct fresh presidential election.
Addressing a press conference in Nairobi, the jubilee leaders-MP and governors said the opposition should respect the Supreme Court ruling that nullified President Uhuru Kenyatta's victory in the just concluded general election.
"We respect totally the decision that has been given by Supreme Court. We are ready, we are eager to go back to the grassroots. We will traverse this country and for record, forget the 54 percent we got in concluded election, this time round jubilee is going to sweep the votes with at least 70 plus votes," Kindiki said.Chief Justice David Maraga who read the ruling on behalf of the other six Supreme Court Judges directed the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission conduct fresh election within sixty days.
But speaking moments after the verdict, NASA principals Raila Odinga, Kalonzo Musyoka, Musalia Mudavadi and Moses Wetangula declared they have no faith in the IEBC adding they will push for a neutral body to oversee the re-run.
“We have no faith at all in the electoral commission as currently constituted, they have committed criminal acts. Most of them actually belong to jail,” said Raila.
Kindki said it was "statistically impossible that Kenyans will elect over 60 percent of all the governors on jubilee ticket and almost a similar number in case of members of National Assembly, senators, Women Representatives and MCAs and fail to vote for Uhuru.
He said the ruling is a temporary setback to the Jubilee Party promising to get more votes in the opposition strongholds.
" whereas we see this as a temporary setback to our party, we are seeing a silver lining that through the fresh election that the Supreme Court has call,we are going even to expand our political influence even to those places we did not do well in the last election," he said.
He said unlike in the last campaigns where they were campaigning for themselves as well as Uhuru, this time round, they will only be campaigning for Uhuru calling on the IEBC to conduct the fresh election is the shortest time position.
He called on the jubilee supporters to remain calm ."The truth of the matter is that final verdict rest with the people of our country. urge our supportest to be modest and calm.Had NASA lost, there could have been chaos in some parts of the court. We have a moment with destiny. Urge IEBC to call elections early,within 60 days," he said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.