Eight people died on Saturday after a matatu crashed into a lorry in Meru.
Two others were injured in the accident after the matatu driver lost control while trying to overtake a boda boda.
Red Cross Central and Eastern boss Gitonga Mugambi said the matatu was heading to a dowry presentation ceremony in Chuka.
"They had hired two matatus to attens the ceremony but unfortunately for involved in an accident," he told The Star on phone.
Police had a difficult time removing the wreckage to clear the traffic jam.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.