Manufacturers’ lobby is urging the government to offer clear direction to manufacturers on the plastic ban that will come into effect next month.
Kenya Association of Manufacturers want to be given clear direction on how to proceed, and specific information about which adjustments will be long-term or short-term.
The lobby said many businesses are in limbo, uncertain as to how to proceed towards complying with this new policy. She added that new policies need to be concise about the manner of execution and which authorities are charged. This is to avoid any vagueness or uncertainty which may lead to inability to plan for changes. Industrialists want predictability of policies which is fundamental to the stability of local businesses, because changing them means a major shift in business plans and daily operations, said the chief executive Phylis Wakiaga (pictured).
“If changes in policy are abrupt, then businesses tend to incur major costs in order to make the necessary adjustments and in some cases have to shut down entirely, laying off workers and bearing huge losses. Any such changes made by government requiring businesses to comply within a certain period, need to be clearly articulated,” said Wakiaga, in a statement.
She said gazettement of the plastic ban, is vague in its articulation of how the ban will be effected. The ban as currently gazetted, is a total ban on all plastic bags.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.