Kenya will be represented by Cynthia Cheruto, Nicole Agufana and Anouk Vandevelde in the Africa Team Cup tennis Under-12 tournament slated for next month in Morocco.
The trio, who are coached by Veronica Osogo, will face top players from Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia , Rwanda, Zimbabwe, South Africa and hosts Morocco among other countries. Osogo is confident the trio can make it to the knockout rounds of the tournament against top quality opposition from the continent. “The girls are training hard and are focused on having a good run at the tournament. The performance of our team in the last few tournaments has been improving and we expect this trend to continue,” added Osogo.
The team has been training at the Nairobi Club for the continental show. Agufana will warm up for the Morocco show by taking part in the ITF/CAT tennis Championship in Tabarka, Tunisia from September 3 and Osogo said the event will aid her push before the main event in Morocco alongside Alice Owegi. Agufana will test herself against good quality opponents in Tunisia and I expect her to be in good condition by the time the Morocco event starts,” added Osogo.
Osogo observed that the team may have to travel early to Morocco to acclimatise to the hot conditions. “We may have to be there five days before the tournaments starts to prepare adequately and get used to the current hot conditions in Morocco,” added Osogo.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.