Taita Taveta governor candidate Granton Samboja (pictured) has promised to put up industries if elected.
Speaking in Kamukunji grounds, Mwatate, on Saturday evening, the Wiper candidate said the county has huge potential to improve its economy through its rich natural resources. He was accompanied by his running mate Majala Mlaghui, a mining expert.
âTaita Taveta county is number three in the country in terms of natural resources richness. But itâs number 45 out of 47 in terms of the poverty index.
Itâs sad that the people are still entangled in the vicious poverty cycle because the leadership has failed to tap its potential. My government will start industries to empower our people and improve our economy,â Samboja said. Mlaghui echoed Sambojaâs sentiments.
Samboja also plans to revamp the livestock sector, saying the region has a capacity to hold more than 250,000 beef cattle, but has only 120,000 cattle.
He pledged to open a meat processing factory to serve the local and international markets.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.