The body of bodyguard Ayub Ndoloni, who was with Public Works PS Mariam El Maawy when a group of over 30 armed suspected al Shabaab militants hijacked their vehicle at Milihoi, Lamu West, on Thursday has been found.
The AP officer's badly burnt body was found in the forest near the scene of the attack on Saturday at 10am by officers conducting a security operation.
Lamu county commissioner Joseph Kanyiri said the body was taken to the Mpeketoni Subcounty Hospital mortuary.
âIt is true. Security officers on an operation have discovered the body of PS Mariam El Maawyâs bodyguard today at around 10am in the forest near the incident at Milihoi ... He died defending his boss. He went down defending the dignity of this country. I knew him for more than three years. He was a diligent soldier,â he said.
Three security officers died during the attack on Thursday.
Among those who died is El Maawyâs nephew, pilot trainee Arif Kassim Athman.
Arif, 21, is said to have been trapped in the vehicle that later blew up and was burnt beyond recognition.
He was buried at Mokowe Cemetery in Lamu West on Friday evening.
The bodyguard was reported missing shortly after the Milihoi attack on Thursday with police suspecting that he had been taken hostage by the terrorists.
The discovery of hiss body brings the death toll of those who perished to five.
The PS is being treated in Nairobi.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.