The standard gauge railway passenger train has transported more than 105,000 passengers in the last 47 days since the launch, Kenya Railways Corporation MD Atanas Maina has said.
The Madaraka Express, launched on May 31 by President Uhuru Kenyatta, has been a sweeping sensation for Kenyan travellers.
The passenger service operates two daily trains between Mombasa and Nairobi.
Maina said it has been doing an average of 98 per cent occupancy since the launch.
âEach of the trains carries an average of 1,480 passengers daily,â he said.
Last week, one of the locomotives pulling the passenger coaches developed mechanical problems at Kibwezi and KRC was forced to bring in another locomotive to rescue the train.
Maina said the component of contraction that changes alternating current to direct current had developed problems and the locative shut down.
âThe problem was resolved within 89 minutes,â he said on Saturday in Mombasa.
He spoke at the Port of Mombasa when he received a new consignment of double-stack wagons and 18 new locomotives for freight services.
The wagons received on Saturday fall under series X2k, which allows for double stacking of containers.
This will reduce decongestion of the port and Mombasa Road, Maina said.
The wagons have a capacity of carrying either four 20-foot containers, two 40-foot containers or three containersâtwo 20-foot and one 40-foot.
This is the last batch of wagons this year. More are expected next year, Maina said.
Freight tariffs will be announced later.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.