The Kenya Railways Corporation has received 60 double-stack wagons for the Standard Gauge Railway freight services.
KRC Managing Director Atanas Maina said this is the last batch of wagons this year.
Double stack wagons are able to transport containers with one placed on top of the other.
"More are expected by next year," Maina said.
Currently, the SGR uses single-stack and open wagons to transport cargo to Nairobi.
Speaking on Saturday at the port of Mombasa while receiving the consignment from China, Maina said they expect the SGR freight services to kick off by December.
Trials for the service has been ongoing through daily transportation of government relief food from Mombasa to Nairobi, he said.
"We are hopeful by early January we shall have fully rolled out the freight services," said the MD.
Maina said the KRC board has also come up with transportation tariffs for cargo.
"We are waiting for Cabinet Secretary's approval before we announce this to the stakeholders," he said.
A 20-foot container will cost Sh50,000 to transport from Mombasa to Nairobi.
One cargo train, pulling single-stack wagons, has a capacity of up to 88 twenty-foot containers.
With double stack wagons, the train will have a capacity of transporting over 200 containers in one trip, Maina said.
Passenger trains on the new generation line kicked off on May 29 with its official launch on May 31.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.