A number of masons were injured after the Sh1.2 billion Sigiri Bridge which was under construction in Budalang'i collapsed on Monday.
Those injured in the Jubilee's flagship project in Busia county were rushed to hospital.
The bridge, linking Bunyala South and North, came down barely days after President Uhuru Kenyatta inspected the works.
Uhuru, during his tour of Busia county on June 14, hailed the project saying it will ease movement of people to schools and markets in the area.
Plans to construct the bridge followed a boat tragedy in September 2014 where nine people were killed as they attempted to cross River Nzoia using a canoe.
While commissioning the construction, Uhuru said he was concerned with the numerous boat tragedies.
Uhuru had on his twitter account said the bridge was fully sponsored by the national government and was to be completed by the end of this month.
"This bridge will significantly reduce deaths and make it easier for the residents to access markets, schools and hospitals."
"It is constructed by my government at a cost of Sh1billion and will be completed by mid July," Uhuru said in a tweet.
Uhuru had ordered the deployment of Kenya Marine Agency officers to work alongside the Busia government to ensure the safety of more than 1,000 people crossing the bridge everyday.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.