Six minors were charged in Murang'a on Monday with being members of Gaza gang, which has been linked to crimes in some Nsairobi estates.
They were arrested at Mukuyu market on Friday following reports that members of the group break into homes and carry out muggings.
Principal magistrate Anthony Mwicigi ordered that the minors be remanded at Murang’a police station until June 21 when the case will be mentioned.
This followed an application by the prosecution which had not completed investigations.
The ages of the suspects will be established and medical exams carried out before they are formally charged.
The magistrate asked the accused parents' to produce their birth certificates.
The prosecution also asked the court to deny the minors release on bond on grounds they may interfere with witnesses.
Mwicigi said he will rule on the bond issue when the case is mentioned.Nairobi estates.
Gaza gang was one of 90 groups outlawed by the government in December last year.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.