Farmers in Keiyo South have expressed outrage after wild cats killed about 100 sheep over the past three weeks in Kabiemit, Keiyo South.
Gilbert Tobosei said the wild cats killed seven of his sheep on Tuesday night.
Tobosei also said on Sunday last week, three sheep belonging to a neighbour were killed by the predators.
"We have been asking Kenya Wildlife Services to help contain the wild cats but they have not been able to assist," he told journalists on Wednesday.
"We depend on these sheep for all our financial needs. We will be forced to hunt down and kill these wild animals if KWS is not ready to help," he added.
Tobosei said residents have been forced to comb the nearby Kaptagat forest where the animals are suspected to be living, to kill them.
Linah Kipyego lost 12 sheep on May 17, while Kabiemit Ward administrator Theophilus Ayiebei lost four sheep.
“We have tried all our best to report to KWS but they have been coming late, and when they arrive they don’t help farmers to track the wild animal,” Ayiebei said.
He said farmers have incurred over Sh600,000 losses following the wild animals’ attack.
Elgeyo Marakwet KWS senior warden John Ngalia said they are hunting the wild cats.
Ngalia said farmers were taking a long time to report animal attacks, making it difficult to track the wild cats.
“We are urging farmers to report to KWS immediately when wild animals kill their animals. Most of them report to the media even before talking to us,” Ngalia said.
He also said the service is working on how to compensate the affected farmers.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.