World 1,500m champion Asbel Kiprop and world cross country champion Geoffrey Kamworor lit up the Kipchoge Keino Stadium as Athletics Kenya track and field got underway yesterday in Eldoret.
Kamworor, who specialises in 10,000m opted for the lesser 1500m race and won the fastest Heat One in 3:41.7. He was followed by James Tenai in 3:41.7.
Asbel won in Heat 4 of the race, clocking 3:44.8 to beat Geoffrey Kibet to second position in 3:45.1. Anthony Kiptoo (3:45.8) and Hoses Cherunyei (3:47.1) won Heat 2 and 3 respectively.
Asbel said he is preparing for the season and hopes to defend his title in London in August.
âI am always happy running here at home because I feel motivated by the fans who usually support me. Preparations for the season are on and I am shaping up for London,âAsbel, who comes from Simat in Uasin Gishu County, said.
In 10,000m men, Family Bank Half marathon winner Jorum Lumbasi clocked 29:16.7 to win the race, beating Bernard Kimeli to second in 29:18.7. Daniel Kipchumba placed third in 29:29.5.
Noah Kipkemboi came fourth in 29:42.0 as Geoffrey Kipsang (30:04.8) and Mike Boit (30:08.4) completed the top six places.
Lumbasi, who placed second early this month at the Le Puy en Velay 15km run in France, said he is trying his luck on the track ahead of the IAAF World Championships.
âMy target is to set the best time in the series and I hope I will get an opportunity to run at the trials so that I can try my luck for the world event,â he said.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.