Former Footballer of the Year, Stephen Waruru, has earned a recall into the national football team as Harambee Stars coach Stanley Okumbi called up 26 local-based players to camp, ahead of an International friendly match against Angola on June 4 at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos.
Waruru has been on fire ever since he returned to action with his club, Ulinzi Stars after a tour of duty. The former Thika United manâs goals have been key in keeping the soldiers hot on the heels of the leading duo in the SportPesa Premier League Gor Mahia and Posta Rangers at a time when teammate and Starsâ newest find Samuel Onyango has lost his early season scoring touch.
Also included in the home-based players roster is Kariobangi Sharksâ marksman Masoud Juma, his fit-again teammate Ovella Ochieng and Tusker youngster Marlon Tangauzi.
Struggling Sony Sugar have also been represented in the squad with forward Boniface Muchiri in the preliminary line up. The team, which will camp in Machakos ahead of the international friendly is expected to report to camp on May 28, 2017, starting 4pm.
Those called up to the squad are ÂâGoalkeepers: Boniface Oluoch (Gor Mahia), James Saruni (Ulinzi Stars), Patrick Matasi (Posta Rangers); Defenders: Bolton Omwenga (Kariobangi Sharks), Haron Shakava (Gor Mahia), Hillary Achesa (Posta Rangers), Jockins Otieno Atudo (Posta Rangers), Mayeko Musa Mohammed (Gor Mahia), Pascal Ogweno (Kariobangi Sharks), Robinson Mwangi Kamura (AFC Leopards), Simon Mbugua (Posta Rangers), Wilkison Marlon Tangauzi (Tusker); Midfielders: Ovella Ochieng (Kariobangi Sharks), Daniel Waweru (Ulinzi Stars), Duncan Otieno (AFC Leopards), Ernest Wendo (Gor Mahia), Jackson Macharia (Tusker), Kenneth Muguna (Gor Mahia), Samuel Onyango (Ulinzi Stars), Stephen Waruru (Ulinzi Stars), Victor Majid (Chemelil Sugar); Strikers: Boniface Muchiri (Sony Sugar), Daniel Mwaura (Mathare United), Joseph Waithera (Wazito FC), Masita Masuta (Nzoia Sugar), Masoud Musa (Kariobangi Sharks). The match will be in preparation for the CHAN 2018 tournament, set to be held in Kenya early next year.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.