Rowdy youths stormed a polling station where former Devolution CS Anne Waiguru was voting on Friday, disrupting Jubilee primaries as they kicked off in Kirinyaga county.
The youths overpowered police and destroyed ballot boxes and papers at Kiamugumo Primary School polling centre.
Waiguru protested and accused incumbent Governor Joseph Ndathi of attempting to rig her out. The former CS is battling it out for a Jubilee ticket for the county seat.
Primaries in the county delayed significantly despite voters turning up as early as 6am.
Voting centres in Ndia and Mwea constituencies experienced a shortage of ballot papers and boxes.
Presiding officers said the party organised for transport too late and drivers were charging more than was allocated to the party.
Jubilee's county coordinator Martin Mwangi could not explain to the Star the cause of the delay but cited "a few problems".
Some aspirants alleged that the delay is a strategy to rig the poll since the party has some preferred candidates.
Kirinyaga Central MP aspirant Beth Ndunyi said the process is not credible, while fellow aspirant Josiah Murigi termed it flawed.
County commander Joseph Nthenge promised to call back for comment but had not done so by press time.
On Thursday, he had promised to provide security to all polling stations.
More on this: Police assure tight security as party primaries close
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.