Jubilee is exploiting starving residents and using food relief to entice them into attending its meetings, Kilifi Governor Amason Kingi said yesterday.
Speaking in Kilifi, he said it is shameful that instead of cushioning the people from hunger the national government taking advantage of their misfortune.
Three weeks ago, Kilifi North MP Gideon Mung’aro and his Ganze counterpart Peter Shehe angered hungry citizens at Ganze town, where Shehe had assured residents that 400 bags of maize would be distributed at a meeting to be addressed by Mung’aro.
They were rescued by Ganze deputy county commissioner Mohammed Mwabudzo, who gave them 100 bags of maize to distribute.
Afterwards, the two held another meeting at Bamba town, which was attended by 3,000 people, all with containers to get relief food.
“This is very wrong. If you want to hold a meeting, tell the people the truth. Do not lie to them that you will give them relief food and then you come empty handed,” Kingi said.
However, Mung’aro said he never promised any food.
“I was shocked to see people with empty sacks expecting to get relief food from us. I do not know who told them that we are bringing food,” he said.
Last week when President Uhuru Kenyatta visited Bamba to commission the Bamba–Mariakani road, Shehe told the residents that a truck carrying food was on its way.
People spent the night on the cold floors of the shops at the trading centre but no food arrived.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.