A seven-year-old boy hiding with his family in a Baringo church watched as bandits slaughtered his mother "like a goat".
"I saw my mother shot before her neck was cut with a sharp knife, like a goat,â Ian Lesiambui told the Star as he described the church massacre on Tuesday in Makutani.
He wept uncontrollably as he clung to his grandmother at the Christian Faith Church where he is taking refuge.
Nine people â four mothers and five children â were murdered at the Full Gospel Church, Makutani where they had fled after Pokot bandits attacked their village.
The attack raised the one-day death toll to 11.
The Full Gospel church had been surrounded by about 200 bandits who entered it and opened fire.
Earlier they had torched an AP camp.
They later rampaged through the village, burning houses and looting stores.
There were several survivors, including a seven-year-old Senteiyo Kateiyo who suffered a serious head wound and a bullet lodged in her chest.
Lesiambui who is a class two pupil of Makutani primary said the bandits fled immediately after their latest raid in Baringo South Sub-county .
He has two siblings aged two and three years.
They are under the care of the CFC Church in Marigat town.
"I received the kids on Wednesday and since then well-wishers and neighbours have been supplying milk to feed them," The Church Bishop Grace Tamar said.
World Vision had also provided tents and foodstuff to some other 27 residents camped at the CFC Church.
The attack has raised the death toll to 21 and displaced more than 30,000 residents including school children.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.