Parents who lost their children in the 2001 Kyanguli fire tragedy have accused their lawyer Kioko Kilukumi of keeping mum after the court awarded them compensation in March last year.
Addressing the media in Machakos town on Tuesday, parent Hillary Kitati said, “We expected our lawyer to call a meeting to brief us on how and when we will get our payment, but he just chased us away when we went to see him at his office.” She said group chairman Benjamin Mutune has also stopped attending meetings.
The parents - awarded Sh41 million by the High Court - urged the government to urgently intervene. Another parent Francisca Kisilu said, “Sixteen years of waiting is no joke. Some parents have died and others are bedridden.” Mutune said payments are being effected. He called for patience.