Former anti-graft agency boss and master orator PLO Lumumba has agreed to write an apology to a constitutional and human rights lawyer for plagiarising his work.
The two recorded the consent in court yesterday. Wachira Maina agreed to withdraw his petition on condition that PLO writes an apology agreeable to him in 14 days.
Lumumba is also required to write another ‘suitable’ letter of correction and forward it to the Law Society of Kenya Journal, the Law Society of Kenya, Law Africa Publishing Ltd and Godfrey Kitiwa to immediately recall and delete the article from the LSK Journal Volume 11 2015.
The article is titled From Jurisprudence to Poliprudence: The Kenyan Presidential Election Petition 2013.
Maina filed the case in court in October last year, accusing Lumumba of intellectual theft.
He accused Lumumba of lifting close to 5,000 words verbatim from his piece, which was published by the East African newspaper on April 20, 2013.
Lumumba’s article was 10,000 words long.
Maina had initially sought damages. He criticised the LSK for failing to check the authenticity of articles before publication.
Maina had also sought to have Lumumba’s conduct declared unethical, and wanted him declared unfit to hold public office.
Lumumba served as the director of the Kenya Anti-Corruption Commission from September 2010 to August 2011.
He is currently the director of the Kenya School of Law. He was appointed to the position in 2014.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.