The parallel registration drive of recruits by the National Youth Service was ill-timed, the IEBC said yesterday.
The commission said although the exercise was not done with an ill intention, it was conducted at the wrong time, attracting attention from various quarters. Two NYS corporals were arrested by residents in Runda on Monday as they allegedly âregistered voters using the IEBC BVR kitsâ.
While verifiying the BVR kits at Gigiri police station, IEBC chief executive Ezra Chiloba said the NYS had not communicated they were conducting a parallel listing for the NYS recruits under their empowerment programme. âWhat worries us is the credibility of the registration process. We have suspended all the NYS activities until we are through with the mass voter registration,â he said.
Chiloba said the suspension will stand until the voter registration is verified and certified. He dismissed claims the kits share data with the IEBC. Chiloba said there is no relationship between the IEBC records and the NYS database.
The government refuted claims the NYS service men were being used to conduct a parallel voter registration.
Gender CS Sicily Kariuki said the biometric registration was adopted by the NYS for the Youth Empowerment Programme beneficiaries. She said the system used for biometric registration of NYS was different from the one used by IEBC.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.