Two Rwandans and a Burundian have been arrested with forged documents they allegedly attempted to use to get Kenyan IDs to register as voters.
The three, who are athletes, were arrested in Elgeyo Marakwet alongside a Kenyan who was helping them get the IDs at Sinetwo mobile ID registration centre. The Kenyan athlete was identified as Laban Kipkoech.
They were all taken to Kaptagat police station for interrogation after they were apprehended on Monday.
The suspects had used the fake documents to acquire Kalenjin names.
Rwandan Hakizimana Gervaiz wanted to name himself Geoffrey Kimutai Kigen while Hagenimana Olivier had christened himself Peter Kipkembboi Rop.
Police said the suspects also obtained primary school leaving certificates from an institution in Ainabkoi constituency, Uasin Gishu. Photocopies of the certificates were signed by the school's headteacher who is being sought by police.
Burundian Mpungu Elonge was the one carrying the forged documents at the time of the arrests.
One of the Rwandans had pretended to be deaf but spoke at the police station. The other said he had been training on an off in Kenya for 11 years.
“We are handling the matter with the seriousness it deserves. They will be arraigned in court as soon as the probe is over," said deputy county commissioner Dhaabu Mwadime.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.