Nairobi county government on Monday received four fire engines, four ambulances 13 water tenders and a turntable ladder through Sh1.1 billion Belgium government financing.
Belgium Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister Didier Reynders handed over the equipment to Governor Evans Kidero during the Belgium King's Day Celebration at the Embassy in Muthaiga.
Reynders said his government will also build two fire stations in the city and train the county fire firefighting personnel.
"Belgium stands with Nairobi county and the Kenyan government. We hope the new equipment will help the fire officers respond better to fire incidences which are common, especially in the informal settlements," Reynders said.
Kidero said the the county is keen to devolve fire department to the sub-counties to deal with frequent fire outbreaks.
"Nairobi County government will is keen to devolve fire and rescue services to the sub-county and Ward levels and we pray for your continued support," he said.
Kidero said the deal includes 35 per cent in grant and 64 per cent free 20-year interest-free loan.
Currently, the city has two fire stations based on Tom Mboya and Industrial Area, however only the former is fully functional despite the massive growth in population.
The county’s fire department has been ridiculed in the past for faulty equipment, arriving at fire scenes late, running out of water and having difficulties putting out fires in high-rise buildings.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.