The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission is in the process of recovering Sh5.5 billion worth of corruptly acquired assets from 24 counties.
Some Sh1.9 billion worth of assets have already been recovered. This bring the total value of corruptly acquired assets to Sh7.4 billion.
In a report handed over to a parliamentary committee, the EACC indicated that 202 people from 24 counties have been charged. They include two governors, five county secretaries, three speakers, two assembly clerks and seven executive members.
The Sh1.9 billion assets were recovered in Bungoma, Kakamega, Kilifi, Kisumu, Kwale, Laikipia, Meru, Mombasa, Nandi, Trans Nzoia and Uasin Gishu counties since 2013. Most of the assets were recovered in Mombasa. They included land in Uhuru Gardens (Sh620 million), the Jomo Kenyatta Public Beach (Sh250 million), Jamhuri Park, the Kenya Ferry Services, Changamwe School, Municipal offices, Malindi Bus Park and the prison.
The EACC also recovered land for the Mt Elgon Hospital (Sh145 million), Ministry of Housing Scheme in Kakamega, Diani Airport, and a children’s home land and Taifa Park in Kisumu. “We have traced more assets but they have not been verified. The figure is likely to go up,” says EACC chief executive Halake Waqo (pictured).
The agency says the interventions are to address corruption and enhance accountability in the counties. It says there is lack of proper asset inventory, poor management and record keeping.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.