National administration officers must not condone sexual abuse and traditional compensation but ensure rapists are tried in court, Interior PS Karanja Kibicho has said.
He commented on Wednesday following reports that a chief in Vihiga county attended an elders’ meeting in which a 78-year-old man was fined just Sh17,000 and a cow for raping his six-year-old granddaughter.
“You are encouraging brutality by passing such verdicts. Who gave you such powers? Don’t wait until I come for you, just come to the headquarters,” Kibicho said.
He was addressing chiefs and assistants chiefs at Mbale Boys’ High School in Vihiga. Kibicho warned that he would personally punish any chief who takes part in local meetings involving sexual abuse cases.
“There is a big conflict in execution of the law. Defilement cases cannot be negotiated at a chief’s baraza. Let me not hear that a chief has engaged in such,” he said.
On October 10, the parents of the six-year-old girl reported to Izava North chief Zachary Mwangala that their daughter had been defiled by her grandfather.
The chief told the Star that elders usually make judgments in such cases to avoid embarrassing the community.
Kibicho learnt of the case at a press briefing at the county headquarters just before he addressed the chiefs.
He said the chief should report to the headquarters in one week to show cause.
The girl’s parents have said justice was not served by handing out a cow and Sh17,000.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.