An Italian tourist was trampled to death by an elephant on Sunday while taking pictures of the animal at Swara Camp, Kulalu ranch within Tsavo National Park.
Police said Fernando Mocclola, 66, spotted the elephant at a watering point a few meters from the camp and curiously moved closer to take pictures when the animal attacked him.
Fernando was with his wife when the incident happened.
Police said the wife had warned him against going too close to the elephant but he tricked by going to his room.
He later sneaked out of his room without taking his breakfast at around 10am and went looking for the elephant.
Fernando started capturing photos of the jumbo oblivious of the fact that he had moved too close. The agitated jumbo charged at Fernando as other guests watched in disbelief.
Malindi police boss Muchangi Mutava said the tourist succumbed to his injuries while undergoing treatment at a Malindi hospital.
His body is lying at the Malindi hospital mortuary awaiting an autopsy.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.