Three terrorists were killed in an attempted attack at Central police station in Mombasa at about 10.30 am on Sunday.
County commander Peterson Maelo said three women in hijabs went to the station pretending they wanted to report a crime.
A preliminary report indicated they claimed they wanted to report the loss of mobile phones.
Maelo said one took out a knife and stabbed the officer manning the report desk forcing his colleagues to shoot them.
Two of the women were shot dead at the report office and the third one as she attempted to escape.
Maelo said one of the suspects had hurled a petrol bomb inside the station, starting a fire.
An officer is said to have sustained an ankle injury and another an injury to his arm. They were rushed to hospital.
The area was sealed off and a major security operation launched to find two men also said to have escaped.
A suspect was later arrested and taken into police custody.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.