Matuga MP Hassan Mwanyoha's son and an accomplice have been convicted of violently robbing a tourist and sentenced to death.
Kwale senior principal magistrate Cosmas Maundu found Mafanikio Mwanyoha alias Fani Hussein and Ali Hassan guilty of attacking tourist Peter Schadwsky.
Mafanikio maintained he had not committed the crime and asked for forgiveness but Hassan asked the court to decide his fate.
The magistrate said the sentence was justifiable. He gave them 14 days to appeal the sentence issued on Tuesday.
The two allegedly attacked Schadwsky, while armed with a knife, at Bougan Villa estate in Diani on August 19, 2015.
The court heard that they stole a bag, an LG mobile phone, a pair of spectacles, a company ID card, and five credit cards, all valued at 125 euros (Sh14,360).
The magistrate said they threatened the victim with violence before and after carrying out the robbery.
Mafanikio faced another charge of handling stolen property. His charge sheet indicated that he retained the wallet, company ID card, mobile phone and the credit cards.
He allegedly committed the offence knowing the items had been obtained unlawfully.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.