Curiosity is mother of creativity. Artists that succeed are seriously curious. Curiosity - ability to treat all experiences as sources of inspiration - gives them intellectual material with which to create, a purpose and meaning to life, and a passion that fires imagination.
Creative geniuses think not 'what is', but 'what can be'. Great Italian artist, Michael Caravaggio (1571-1610), gives us the masterclass in curiosity. An orphan, he had to apprentice in art studios from the young age, perfecting composition and the way to model the human form and gesture. Artistic style that prevailed at his time, Mannerism of the Late Renaissance exaggerated proportion, balance and beauty and was dull and artificial.
Caravaggio wanted to find new realism in painting - a radical realism that would shock. His curiosity led him to optics; optics then was what the digital technologies are now. He learned everything to know about lenses - convex, biconvex and concave - and eventually developed chiaroscuro, the innovative technique of dramatic contrasts of light and shadow.
This started Baroque, a new-age art of intense expression and action that made great impact on the arts, science and humanities. Caravaggio worked only for short 14 years, but powered by creativity his legacy is lasting. Is curiosity the mother of it all? Commission or buy Kenyan art, original or prints, for your home and office.
Visit artcollector.agency, or contact [email protected]
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.