Connie Aluoch is perhaps one of the most qualified fashion stylists in the country. Her journey started in 1996 at the Evelyn College of Design where she earned a diploma in fashion design and garment making. After that, she went on to study fashion in institutions in Europe and the United States. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in fashion art and design from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York and also spent a year at the Polimoda International Institute of Fashion Design & Marketing in Florence, Italy. Her time in Italy gave her the opportunity to learn about fashion from the European perspective. She also gained an appreciation for the Italian culture and speaks the language fluently to date.
Connie has worked in design and public relations departments for fashion world powerhouses like Emporio Armani, Alek Wek and Matthew Williamson. She has also consulted at the New York, Milan and London fashion weeks with designers Vivienne Westwood and Dsquared2 and was instrumental in showcasing the first male Kenyan designer John Kaveke.
- I’m usually up by between 4.30 and 5.00 am as I like the tranquility and peace that early in the morning. This when I pray then plan the day ahead.
- I work out between 6 am to 7am. Breakfast depends, probably an egg or two slices of brown bread. I try to eat healthy.
- Throughout the day, I work on various projects through my company Connie Aluoch Styling Management. On some days, I am busy styling covers or doing fashion editorials for different publications. I also do personal styling for TV anchors and conduct training on personal branding, image and grooming for corporates or small groups. Finally, I have my weekly lecture at the university.
- I typically carry lunch from home.
- I try maintain a work-life balance and get home by 6 pm. If I have an evening function or meeting friends, I go home, freshen up and then head out.
- The 9pm news is of interest to me as I review what the anchors are wearing as I am their personal shopper.
- Just before my bedtime of 10pm, I reflect on the day and pray.
- Saturdays are my days to chill out. I usually go for a long run in the morning and then spend time catching up on the latest global fashion trends or visiting new stores that have opened up around town. On some weekends, I have to conduct trainings for groups that are unable to meet during the week.
- On Sundays I go to church and hang out with family and friends.