Recently, a mile-long line of people stood for hours in subzero temperatures to see the retrospective exhibition of Russian impressionist painter Valentin Serov (1865-1911) at the Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow. Feeding and warming tents were set up for those in line. There were so many visitors that the gallery had to eventually stop selling the tickets! Serov is well known in Russia. His outstanding deep psychological portraits and landscapes are executed with brilliant mastery. But exhibitions of other artists too had drawn huge crowds in recent years in Moscow. Why? Arts are valued and recognised in Russia. There is an understanding that art is a powerful resource to wellbeing and education and, therefore, to quality of life. Art illuminates and enriches people in terms of spirituality, higher consciousness and humanity. Some seek these illuminations and riches in religion, some find them in art. 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on words of God,' says Bible. And for those 'words' of wisdom and inspiration people will continue to wait outside galleries, even in cold and snow..
Buy or commission Kenyan art, original paintings or digital prints, for your home and office. Visit artcollector.agency, or contact Alla Tkachuk on [email protected]
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.