Two children who ate spoilt food on Sunday have died in drought-stricken Murtena village, Pokot south constituency.
Two others and two men are hospitalised with food poisoning at Chepareria Health Centre.
“We had visitors in our church on Saturday where the food was prepared. My neighbour packed some of it in a polythene bag and took it to her house. On Sunday, my children went to play in the homestead where they ate the food,” Susan Lorilema said.
She is the mother of all four children.
Lorilema said after two hours her children started complaining of stomach upsets.
“It was late so I decided to wait until morning before taking them to hospital. Two were pronounced dead on arrival at Chepkobe dispensary,” mother of seven said at the health centre.
The two were aged three and eight.
Speaking yesterday at the burial of the children, nominated MCA Teresa Lokichu blamed the deaths on lack of food.
She said the region suffered total crop failure and many residents go for days without food.