Artists do fail, their ideas do crash. When it comes to creativity, failure is inevitable. But artists evaluate, modify and try again. Artists prevail. They know that creating anything of worth takes a while, and the success is often down to the things originally planned morphing into something different, as long as you are open to possibilities.
Bridget Riley (born 1931), an important contemporary abstract artist, started as an Impressionist painter. For years she could not find her unique 'voice', producing fine and colourful, but unoriginal work. Once, trying to reflect on an unhappy relationship, she painted an unusual to her black painting with a white line. The painting expressed her unequal and tense relationship perfectly. She called it 'Kiss', and it marked her discovering a new technique and style that brought her self-realisation and recognition!
Creative people approach challenges gradually, experimenting and taking informed risks. They ask no permission to test their talents. They know that to be creative is not only their birthright, but also the need. Whether creating companies, products or paintings, they are determined to find that 'creative voice'. This makes them daring, confident and wise. And fearless of failure.
Alla Tkachuk is the founder of Art Collector Agency-Kenya
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.