[VIDEO] Allow KDF to do its work, Uhuru says on Somalia al Shabaab attack

Chief of Kenya Defence Forces (KDF), General Samson Mwathethe (L) and Defence Cabinet Secretary Raychelle Omamo stand at attention near the caskets of Kenyan soldiers serving in the African Union Mission in Somalia, who were killed during an attack last week on a military base in the west of Somalia near the Kenyan border by Somalia's al Shabaab group, January 18, 2016. Photo/REUTERS
Chief of Kenya Defence Forces (KDF), General Samson Mwathethe (L) and Defence Cabinet Secretary Raychelle Omamo stand at attention near the caskets of Kenyan soldiers serving in the African Union Mission in Somalia, who were killed during an attack last week on a military base in the west of Somalia near the Kenyan border by Somalia's al Shabaab group, January 18, 2016. Photo/REUTERS

The President has asked the public to allow KDF to carry out its duties following the killing and capture of soldiers in an ambush in Somalia.

The number of casualties in the attack, on a remote African Union base in El Adde last Friday, has not been released.

Four bodies and at least 20 injured soldiers have been flown back while an operation to rescue survivors and find the perpetrators is ongoing.

Uhuru said: "I know the military has traditions in remembering heroes. The Defence ministry will proceed with burial plans." He added that the nation will join the army in celebrating the heroes.

Speaking during a press conference at State House, Mombasa, on Tuesday, Uhuru said Kenyans must understand that the country needs peace and unity.

"Our national security knows no political, religious or ethnic boundaries... just unity and resolve. Peace and security have a price and our job is to minimise the risk on our people," he said.

He said the Kenya Defence Forces is conducting an intense search to ensure soldiers who survived the ambush are brought back home.

Jet fighters in Elgadud and Dabley in pursuit of al Shabaab fighters behind the attack.

It has been described the deadliest since Kenyan troops joined the African Union Mission in Somalia in 2011.

"We are determined to pursue these criminals and ensure they pay heavily for what they have done. Our soldiers did not die in vain," Uhuru said.

Cord leader Raila Odinga had asked the President to declare a two-day period of mourning.

Raila had also asked Uhuru to suspend all activities and convene an emergency session of the Cabinet to provide a way forward and guide the public.

He said the on the attack has left a gap that is being filled by the terror group's propaganda.

Al Shabaab did not say how many soldiers it captured but revised the number of those killed from 63 to 100.

Defence Cabinet Secretary Raychelle Omamo said affected families will receive details before the rest of the public.