Expectant mothers and babies in Laikipia county have a reason to smile following the opening of a maternity ward and paediatric facility in Nanyuki town on Tuesday.
The facilities at Consolata Mission Hospital, Mathari, are worth Sh20 million.
The construction was funded by the Catholic Archdiocese of Nyeri, Italian donors and the Rotary Club.
At the commissioning of the facilities on Tuesday, Governor Joshua Irungu said he will waive the hospital’s Sh340,000 land rates arrears.
He will also waive land rates for Huruma Health Centre and Tumaini Children’s Home.
“Many mothers and children seek medical attention from Consolata Mission Hospital in Nyeri therefore the existence of these new facilities will greatly improve accessibility to maternal health services for residents,” he said.
The 24-bed maternity ward will supplement the Nanyuki Teaching and Referral Hospital.
Consolata Mission Hospital, Mathari chief executive Bernard Muriithi said the facility has pre and postnatal clinics, a laboratory and operating theatre.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.