President Uhuru Kenyatta has sent a letter congratulating Tanzania president-elect John Magufuli following The Star story.
State House released a ministry of Foreign Affairs letter dated November 3 congratulating Magufuli for his win.
This makes Uhuru the first East African President to congratulate Magufuli. Contents of the letter was not availed.
"...the ministry has the honor to forward a congratulatory letter from H.E. Hon Uhuru Kenyatta..." the Foreign Affairs ministry letter reads in part.
“The ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Trade of the Republic of Kenya avails itself of this opportunity to renew to the High Commission of the United Republic of Tanzania the assurances of its highest consideration."
It is not clear whether the Jubilee administration will be represented at the inauguration.
This comes seven days after the CCM candidate, a close ally to Cord leader Raila Odinga, was elected President of Tanzania.
Raila and a delegation of 20 Cord leaders are already in Tanzania for tomorrow's ceremony.
Opposition candidate Edward Lowassa disputed the outcome.
Magufuli was declared the winner on Thursday after the National Electoral Body dismissed opposition complaints about the process and a demand for a recount.
He garnered 8,882,935 votes against Lowassa's 6,072,848.
The election has been the most hotly contested race in the more than half a century of rule by the Chama Cha Mapinduzi Party, which fielded Magufuli, 56, a minister for public works.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.