The Nairobi Governor has ordered investigations into public and private hospitals that do not admit emergency patients.
Noting that hospitals vowed to serve, Evans Kidero asked county health executive Bernard Muia to start the probe immediately.
"All healthcare providers, whether in public or private hospitals, took an oath to treat anybody, whether they have money or not," Kidero said.
Speaking during a fundraiser in Kariobangi North Ward on Sunday, he said if found at fault, the hospitals will be disallowed to renew their licenses.
The investigations have been launched in various hospitals, Muia told the Star on phone on Tuesday, adding that the public will be briefed once they are completed.
The directive follows the death of a a man who waited 18 hours in an ambulance to access the ICU at KNH over lack of a bed died.
Alex Madaga, 37, died on October 9 at Kenyatta National Hospital after a speeding car knocked him down on Waiyaki way.
The victim, who was bleeding in the brain, was referred to KNH for specialised treatment after he was taken to Kikuyu Mission Hospital.
On Monday, Cord leader Raila Odinga said a team of lawyers will begin legal proceedings into Madaga's death.
"In his case, the Constitution was clearly defiled and ignored, as if it counts for nothing," he said in a statement to newsrooms.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.