Mathare slum survivors relocated
President Kibaki has directed the Internal Security Ministry not to allow the public in landslide prone areas. Kibaki has also advised the public to keep off disaster scenes so as not to interfere with rescue operations. The President, who spoke a day after the Mathare slums landslide that killed eight people, said people living in flood prone areas should move to safer grounds.
The President's directive comes a day after Nairobi PC Ndirangu Njoroge orders that squatters on riparian land be evicted. Ndirangu also ordered DC and police officers not to allow people back to the area hit by the land slide. Yesterday, close to 20 families near the scene of the landslide were moved to Heide Marie Shule in Mathare.
A humanitarian camp has been set up in the school to cater for the families whose houses were destroyed. Yesterday, some of the family members were back to Mathare 4A and spent the day collecting their household goods. Felix Omondi, a resident, yesterday said residents of the slums held a meeting following the incident and resolved that no families will be allowed to resettle in the area.
Omondi said 36 residents groups representatives met on Wednesday night and resolved that a gabion will be erected in the area. Omondi said the 36 representatives met at Baraka hall in Mathare where the decision was reached together with the area Councillor. The families of the nine people who died have commenced the burial preparations.
Yesterday, Jecintah Owour, a sister to 23-year-old Victor Odour who perished said the family had commenced the burial preparations. Jecinta said her brother had come for a sleep over at the house of two of his friends when the accident happened. According to Jecinta, Odour had rented a house in the neighboring Huruma estate but on Wednesday night came to spend the night at his friends house because he had been ejected from his house after he delayed in paying rent.
Odour who completed High school in 2004 at Eastleigh High school was hoping to join college but was running a barber shop. Police said the land slide may have been caused by heavy downpour. Starehe Police chief Aphiod Nyaga put the death toll at eight and said another eight people were still admitted at the Kenyatta National Hospital.