Postal services in the country have continued to experience a downward trend as compared to the preceding quarter, the Communications authority has said.
Through its 2016-2017 third quarter report, CA noted that a similar trend was observed during the same period in the previous year.
According to the report, the volume of letters posted locally declined substantially during the period under review to record 8.2 million letters from 15.8 million letters posted in the previous period.
The decline was attributed to the end of the festive season and examination period which occurs in the second quarter.
Courier items sent locally during the period under review registered a total of 1.63 million down from last quarter’s 1.67 million items.
The number of International incoming letters also decreased to 964,013 letters during the period under review down from 2.2 million letters recorded during the previous quarter.
Likewise the volume of letters sent to other countries declined to stand at 912,825 letters from last quarter’s 1.9 million letters.
The number of postal and private courier outlets remained at 623 and 1599 respectively in the quarter under review as shown in figure 12.
Despite the decrease in posted letters, the corporation still remains stable largely due to services from other government institutions, with the latest one being from the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission that contracted them as the lead logistics firm to distribute electoral materials across the country.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.