THE Clergy in Nakuru county have urged the media fraternity to exercise responsible journalism while reporting on isolated cases of post election violence.
Under the Nakuru Church Elders Council, the religious leaders appealed to local and international press to be objective in reporting.
The council chairman Apostle Sammy Ngaho, acknowledged the importance of media in any democracy but indicated care should exercised to deter selfish politicians to incite Kenyans.
“There are isolated cases of violence reported after voting but that should not be given priority to depict as if the country is on fire. Let as focus on the peaceful exercise that we have experienced.” Ngaho said.
Apostle Ngaho also called upon media to broadcast positive criticism and remain neutral in their reporting.
The religious leaders have also given Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) a clean bill of health terming their work as unquestionable.
Bishop Wallace Mbugua National Churches Council of Kenya (NCCK) Nakuru County Chairman said the IEBC has won Kenyans heart and they should be supported by all.
“The election process so far is transparent and though with few challenges, the commission has exhibited professionalism, fairness and credibility,” Bishop Mbugua said.
Meanwhile, a section of Nakuru County leaders who lost have conceded defeat promising to support winners for unity and development.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.