Sofapaka assistant coach John Baraza remains optimistic that his team can still challenge for honours in the league after they picked their second win on the bounce to return to fourth place, six points shy of the league leaders Gor Mahia.
Baraza was in charge of the team over the weekend in the absence of coach Sam Ssibwa.
“This was our second victory in a row and I am happy the boys are picking valuable points as the league progresses. We are now gelling and in another three to four games, we will be able to tell how far we can go in the league this season,” he said on the league’s official portal.
Sunday’s 3-0 victory over Thika United came courtesy of second half goals from Umar kasumba, Hillary Echesa and Ronny Aloro. After playing 19 matches, Batoto Ba Mungu are on 31 points. Bandari are right behind them with 29 points after their win over AFC Leopards that left coach Paul Nkata purring.
“There is nothing sweeter in football as avenging defeat and I am happy we have beaten AFC Leopards. They surprised us in Mombasa in a match we had expected to win, so this victory is enjoyable,” enthused Nkata
The goal was scored on the stroke of halftime by Hassan Abdalla , who was equally enthusiastic for his match winning heroics.
“This is my second goal of the season and scoring against giants like AFC Leopards, the feeling is good particularly coming on my birthday,” reveled Abdalla.
The young striker has put stellar names like Jacob Keli in the shade with coach Nkata keen to reward youthful zeal over experience as the coastal outfit seeks to stay in the title race.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.