Garissa residents want more funds allocated to livestock development, value addition for their products and flood control along the River Tana.
Mining PS Dr Ibrahim Mohamed said the majority of Garissa residents are pastoralists and would like a disease-free zone.
“Promoting value additional in a disease-free zone is their ultimate aim. Herders would like to see their meat, milk, hides and skin among other products being processed locally. There is a lot of milk and meat that go to waste,” he said.
Ibrahim spoke to journalists in Garissa on Saturday, after presiding over a consultative forum for the Third Medium Term Plan.
He said the construction of modern abattoirs will help stop wastage of meat, create jobs and grow the economy.
The PS said many herders who lost their animals due to a prolonged drought are now facing another dilemma of floods after they ventured into irrigation farming. Floods from upstream of the River Tana could destroy their crops.
“We want to adopt mitigation measures that will lessen losses brought about by floods. We will liaise with the Irrigation and Environment ministries on how best to address these concerns so that farmers don’t suffer huge losses during floods,” Ibrahim said.
“They want early warning systems enhanced so that floodwaters can be stored in dams and released at the appropriate time, and used during dry spells.”
Yussuf Buno, the acting CEO of the CDF board, said the consultative forum is a concerted effort between the state and the county that will form the basis for the County Integrated Development Plan to help achieve Vision 2030.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.