A man and his 13-year-old daughter overpowered a robber who attacked them at their house in Kisumu county on Sunday.
The criminal gave up the G3 rifle he had before escaping when the two fought him at the house in Seme.
County commissioner Mohamed Maalim said the firearm was stolen from one of the AP camps in the county in 2015.
"There was no ammunition in the gun. It was an act of bravery for the family to snatch it from the robber."
Maalim, who did not disclose the family's identity for security reasons, said police were pursuing the suspect.
The incident came a day after two suspected robbers were gunned down by police officers at Obunga in Kisumu.
A G3 rifle with five bullets was recovered during the incident on Saturday.
Kisumu OCPD Mutuma Maweu said another suspect escaped with gunshot wounds.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.