Police in Mombasa arrested four terror suspects at the weekend for plotting to carry an attack during Eid celebrations.
Three suspects Yayha Salim Bakari - a teacher at Masjid Majilis in Kikambala, Julius Mwandenzi alias Zinde, Zebebwa, Ibras and Abdallah Ramadhan were arrested in Voi town.
Police said they were escaping to Nairobi.
Another suspect, Mohamed Anguzo, was arrested in Nairobi and is yet to be airlifted to Mombasa to face similar charges.
A fifth suspect, who is yet to be identified, escaped when the detectives from the Anti-Terrorism Unit (ATPU) stormed their hideout in Voi.
An officer who sought anonymity told The Star that the five suspects had recruited several minors aged 16-17 to join al Shabaab.
"We received information from KDF intelligence teams in Somalia and we laid an ambush.They will be arraigned in Mombasa this morning. But one managed to escape during the raid," he said.
The officer added: "We will seek more days to interrogate them."
More than 80 people were arrested in an anti-terror swoop in Eastleigh area, Nairobi on Sunday.
The suspects include 15 foreigners and are under interrogation for radicalisation.
In April, a wanted terror suspect Juma Athman was arrested by ATPU officers in Mombasa.
Athman, 24, was apprehended at his house in Shika Adabu, Likoni.
Police recovered two grenades, 10 bullets and CDs with materials for radicalisation.
An AK 47 rifle, a jungle jacket, his Kenyan passport, and binoculars were also seized during the raid.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.