NASA presidential candidate Raila Odinga on Sunday made an impromptu visit to Uchumi supermarket to asses the unga crisis.
In pictures seen by the Star, Raila was at the supermarket holding a notice which reads "please pick only two packets of maize flour".
But the flour that the consumers were being told to pick was not in the shelves. It is not clear which Uchumi branch he visited.
"...there wasn't even one packet of unga when Raila visited the store," his spokesman Dennis Onyango wrote on Facebook.
The opposition leader was accompanied by Suna East MP Junet Mohamed and other leaders.
On Saturday, he accused the Jubilee Administration of creating a food crisis to manipulate Kenyans ahead of August polls.
Raila said in Maua town during his Meru tour that the unga crisis is one of the ruling entity's scheme to source campaign cash.
He accused President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto of working with unga dealers to create an 'artificial' shortage hence the crisis.
"Hii Njaa wakenya wako nayo imeletwa na Jubilee. Uhuru na Ruto wameleta hii njaa makusudi ili waweze kufaidika na kufanya biashara na wananchi."
(This food crisis has been created by Uhuru and Ruto intentionally because they want to benefit from the proceeds by manipulating Kenyans)
On Sunday he said: "Uhuru and Ruto are shedding crocodile tears."
"They have made no efforts to strike deals with other countries for maize importation," he told journalists in Nairobi.
"Jubilee government is the author of the famine that is facing the country."
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.