One person was killed in a dawn accident at Kamatira on Kitale Lodwar highway on Thursday. West Pokot police boss Mathews Kuto said the deceased was pronounced dead on arrival to Kapenguria County Hospital.
Kuto said two others were seriously hurt, and one sustained minor injuries. “The two are recuperating in the same hospital,” he said. The police boss said brakes of a lorry transporting goods from Kitale to Lodwar town failed while ascending a steep road.
“The driver tried to accelerate but hit a lorry that was ahead of it and then landed in a ditch,” he said.
Kuto asked drivers to be careful during this rainy season to avoid more accidents, saying the area is marked as a blackspot.
“One of the passengers who sustained major injuries died upon arrival at the hospital and the two others are still recuperating at the same hospital,” he said.
The county commandant has asked drivers to be carefully while ascending of descending the sharp corners during this rain season to avoid more accidents.
He said the area has been marked as a black spot and asked driver lying on the road to be carefully.
Last year residents from the region held demonstrations and blocked the road demanding the government to redesign the road.
The residents decried over increase in road accidents that has claimed many people.
This forced the ministry of public works to step in and erect road signs warning drivers to be carefully while using the road.
The body of the deceased is lying at Kapenguria county mortuary.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.