Kenya upset Zimbabwe 34-24 to romp into the Africa under 20 championship final in Antananarivo, Madagascar.
Kenya await the winner of the second semi between hosts Madagascar and champions Namibia .
Kenya got off to a good start, dominating possession and territory and an unconverted try through winger Derrick Keyonga.
The Junior Sables outfit from Zimbabwe were no match for the physical Kenyan outfit, also known as Chipu, and Roxy Dan Suchi powered over the line from a line-out and score Kenya’s second try for a 10-0 lead.
Zimbabwe regrouped and began to make inroads to the Kenyan 22 and were rewarded when Scott Young barged over the line for an unconverted try and reduce the margin to 10-5 . Shingirai Kastevere then leveled matters midway through the first half with a well taken try which was not converted.
The two sides looked evenly matched in the humid conditions and skipper Gabriel Adero touched down from a five meter scrum to give Chipu the lead again as Nondies Ben Marhsall also powered the whitewash for a 20-10 lead. Zimbabwe finished the half stronger and reduced the deficit with a try from Anthony Tanner with him adding the conversion for a 20-17 deficit at the interval
On resumption, the two sides traded quick fire tries with Henry Ayah scoring for Kenya and converting his own try and Zimbabwe replied through Quinton Mashiri for a 27-24 . Kenya finished the game strongly with Jeff Mutuku touching down to close out the match with Henry Ayah adding the extra two points.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.