The Safaricom Foundation funded the building of a perimeter wall, fully equipped dormitory and sanitation block in three Meru schools for special needs students.
The Sh4.8 million facilities were handed over to the Meru School for the Mentally Challenged, Kariani Primary School Special Unit and St Joseph Children’s Home.
Speaking during the event yesterday, Safaricom Foundation chairman Joseph Ogutu said the company will continue investing in the education of children with special needs.
“Goal four of the Sustainable Development Goals calls for inclusive and equitable quality education and promotion of life-long learning opportunities for all. This includes children with special needs," he said.
"The Convention on the Rights of the Child also sets out the rights that must be realised for children to develop their full potential, free from hunger, neglect and abuse. At Safaricom Foundation, we are constantly working to aid the achievement of both objectives.”
In 2016, the Special Schools Heads Association of Kenya reported that more than 100,000 children living with disability are out of school for various reasons, including discrimination and stigma.
In the same year, the Commission for University Education released a report showing that only 600 students living with disability were enrolled in both public and private universities countrywide.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.