Wiper aspirants allied to Mombasa Senator Hassan Omar yesterday endorsed his bid for governor.
“The NEB should give Hassan Omar the nomination and we will deliver the governor seat early in the morning,” Mjambere MCA Khamis Mwabashiri said.
Omar was supported by three MCAs, three Wiper constituency chairmen and MP and woman representative aspirants. They spoke at a press conference in Mombasa yesterday.
This is likely to cause more unrest within the party, as both Omar and Nyali MP Hezron Awiti are seeking the ticket to run against Governor Hassan Joho.
Awiti has said he will not be anyone’s deputy and has rejected proposals for the two of them to team up, with Omar as the governor candidate and he deputy.
Omar will also not hear of proposals for him to be Awiti’s deputy.
Analysts say the Awiti-Omar combination, in any format, is the surest bet for a Wiper victory on August 8.
Omar, a former human rights activist, is campaigning on the platform of youth economic empowerment and socioeconomic equity.
Awiti’s campaign has centred on inclusivity and unity of the various communities in Mombasa.
Yesterday, the aspirants rejected the delegates system of nominations.
Wiper's constitution, under article 23.4, states that the party may identify flagbearers for various seats through consensus or nomination.
Mwabashiri and Wiper Changamwe chairman Jackson Malii said they do not want the proposed 600 delegates to nominate their candidate.
But Awiti’s supporters, who were locked out of the meeting, said they will not accept direct nomination.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.