Lawyer Gitobu Imanyara has ditched ODM for Maendeleo Chap Chap party, whose leader is Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua.
Imanyara, who received blessings from Njuri Ncheke elders at his Mariene home, said he will seek to recapture the Central Imenti MP seat.
The lawyer made the decision after holding a closed-door meeting with elders. He said he consulted widely after announcing his return to politics a week ago.
"I had retired from politics but I was called by the elders and residents who told me [matters were not being handled well]....the development projects I started stalled. They asked me to make a comeback," he said after the meeting with about 100 elders.
He added: "In the 2013 poll, I vied for senator on an ODM ticket but this time round the elders have told me to vie under Maendeleo Chap Chap. Its leaders have shown good leadership by campaigning peacefully and its structures are good, unlike other coalitions which are filled with fracas and abuses."
Joseph Muriungi said the elders agreed that should Imanyara fail in his role as legislator, the people should not cast him away.
"They should return our son to us as we are his parents," he said.
Imanyara announced that he would retire from active politics after he lost his bid for Meru senator to Kiraitu Murungi in the 2013 elections. He garnered 48,050 against Kiraitu's 361,897.
Others vying for the Imenti Central parliamentary seat include incumbent MP Gideon Mwiti and Meru county secretary Gideon Kimathi.
- Thank you for participating in discussions on The Star, Kenya website. You are welcome to comment and debate issues, however take note that:
- Comments that are abusive; defamatory; obscene; promote or incite violence, terrorism, illegal acts, hate speech, or hatred on the grounds of race, ethnicity, cultural identity, religious belief, disability, gender, identity or sexual orientation, or are otherwise objectionable in the Star’s reasonable discretion shall not be tolerated and will be deleted.
- Comments that contain unwarranted personal abuse will be deleted.
- Strong personal criticism is acceptable if justified by facts and arguments.
- Deviation from points of discussion may lead to deletion of comments.
- Failure to adhere to this policy and guidelines may lead to blocking of offending users. Our moderator’s decision to block offending users is final.